Friday 18 June 2010

It takes a village to grow a tomato

I am not, on the whole, a self-starter... but maybe that's not all bad. They say it takes a village to raise a child - agreed. In my case, it also takes a village to plant a garden or start making sourdough bread! Let me tell you how...


Garden: 5 tomato plants given by Helen, 2 by Mat, leftover seeds by Thiessens, beds initially weeded and dug this spring by father-in-law Ian, rotavated by Jeremy with Thiessens' machine fetched with Mat's help, sides redug by me (yay!) and plants finally planted last night after a phone call with Helen gave me the final motivation I needed, supported by tomato cages from Lowers. Woohoo!

Sourdough: examples and samples provided by Grace and Leslie over weeks and months, first recipe and flour provided by Leslie, 'Nourishing Traditions' book for Christmas from Joanna to inform me of the health-giving properties of fermented foods, starter as a gift on Leslie's departure for the summer, and now here I am on my 3rd attempt, this time part rye flour.
Go me... go village!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment